The Importance of Writing Things Down
Something as simple as getting a day planner for your student and teaching them how to use it effectively can seriously boost academic performance. Paper and pencil are tools that can reinforce the things students need to remember as well as keep them organized. A bonus is that you will help your child be less dependent on electronic devices for scheduling, reminders, notes, and important info.
- Writing things down trains your brain to remember
- The majority of states in the U.S. (29) have stopped teaching handwriting
- Subjects in a study on writing and memory retention who wrote notes by hand scored much higher than those who typed notes on a keyboard
- Take notes by hand. You can increase your memory by as much as 70 percent when you review your handwritten notes within 24 hours
- Overuse of electronic devices lends itself to feeling anxious or stressed
- Children’s screen time has DOUBLED this year compared to last year